As I’m typing this words, my March dress is now hanging upstairs in my sewing room. The hem is the best one I’ve sewn so far and everything looks great. You wouldn’t know this wasn’t a $100+ dress when you look at it. However, it is not done yet. Probably about 98% at this time.
But let’s ignore that for the time being, shall we?
Seriously, I can’t wait until it’s FINALLY warm enough here that I can wear this dress out. Twirly skirt, quirky fabric design, classic design, AAAAHHHH.
There’s just one thing left to do though.
When I tried the dress on after putting in the zipper, I saw that it was very gappy in the back. I had tried on the bodice before attaching it to the skirt and it looked gappy, but that was before I put the zipper in. I’d made dresses before that were gappy in the back prior to sewing in the zipper but were just fine after the zipper was installed. I thought this would be one of those dresses.
Not even a hook and eye would help. It would still be way too gappy.
As much as I love my body type, I’ve noticed that pattern companies always assume that just because you have the 38″-39″ hips that you have the 35″+ bust and ribcage to go with it. Not for pears like me!
Fortunately, I’m learning how to make such adjustments. And it’s why I always try on my garments as I’m sewing them. After any major seams are sewn, I always slip the dress/shirt on over my head to make sure things are looking like they should. I never would have done that a year ago, by the way.
Unsure of what exactly to do about the gappiness in the back of my dress at the zipper except to perhaps take in the dress at the zipper (something that I really didn’t want to do because this dress has the best zipper stitching I’ve ever put in and the thought of taking it out almost made me cry), I brought the dress over to my MIL’s house.
Hand sewing two small darts on the inside the bodice back near the side seams, and sewing in a hook and eye above the zipper. If there had not been any lining on this dress that had been sewn in so carefully, I could have just done a larger seam allowance on the side seams. But alas, that was not the case!
And her suggestion for the next time this happens on a garment was to take it in at the side seams rather than at the zipper.
So sometime today, I will be hand sewing those two darts. So no doing a Snoopy happy dance yet.
Then once those are sewn in, March’s dress with be DONE!!!